Monday, July 8, 2013

"Revision is forgiveness; revision is hope" were the words in our writing-into-the-day, words from Katherine Boomer that resonated with me.  And then "revision is just that--revision--and it doesn't necessarily mean improvement" that Cindy Urbanski said spoke to me as well.  Both happen to me--and sometimes at once.  So we are revising today in SI to think deeply about our words and how we mean by them.  And I rewrote this poem that I blogged out last week.  In this draft I reshape the poem and give it a title.  What might seem like little word changes, changed the poem.  In this revision local changes made for global revisions.


White Folks Christian Childhoods

In response to Nikki Giovanni's "Nikki Rosa"

Childhood memories aren't a drag for white folks.
It's those of your teens and twenties that really get to you,
The years where all that Christian upbringing, like
sex being only for bad girls
and being smart means not being quite as smart as a boy--
It's the teens and twenties that really get to you.
Because you have to iron out
All that shaping you got as a child
Undo yourself and do-over
Ditch the icky husband you married by mistake
Claim your mind, your words
And that can be hard on all those childhood friends
and family
who made your childhood memories oh so nice.

4 comments:

  1. The revision focus today really helped me. I also connected with many of Cindy's comments. I particularly like her ideas for helping students organize their writing. One thing we can't revise is other people--only ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added on in response to Katherine Bomer quote we had from earlier today (The one that ends in revision is forgiveness) -

    Revision is also difficult
    you must let go
    of love, of organized past
    your favorites and hates
    Revision must be new
    It is re-creation and painful
    like birth- but you know what you're getting into, lol
    The good news is you get to experience things in a different way - You get to see new things
    Vision is remade
    Let go, Revise
    and live a new life
    Don't go too fast, build a revision that lasts
    Bust is always okay with being
    seen in a different way

    - P.S.
    Harris Teeter ran out of gluten free bisquick, so half of my biscuits are sub-par; they were a bad revision

    ReplyDelete
  3. "revision is just that--revision--and it doesn't necessarily mean improvement"

    I think this line is something that we have grapple with. I think students hear this and think "well then why I should I do it? My writing is already good enough." The point of revision is to push our thinking. Through revision I may not change the piece I'm writing, but it leads me to write something new, a piece that serves a different purpose.

    ReplyDelete