Monday, July 9, 2012
So much of my teaching has to do with making the strange familiar, helping students grapple with complex texts, convincing students that they can enter into conversations even if those conversations don't appear to be inviting new participants. Lacy's demonstration got me thinking about how important it is for all of us to make the familiar strange, to critically examine those every day things that we take for granted, like the paper we write on, the constraints we place on writing, what we think is "foundational." Cindy's and Steve demonstration got me wondering about the issue of response and writing grouups, how we often take responding for granted, yet it is highly complicated because it challenges all of us to find ways of engaging a writer and being a productive reader. So this "everyday" experience needs to be probelmatized in the same way that paper needs to be problematized, helping us as writers to learn how to listen to what people are saying to us about our work (writing into conversations) and helping us as readers to give writers what is going on in our heads as we are reading their work. All this writing and reading needs practice because we are "there" in the classroom in a new way, as full particiants with knowledge and abilities and interests and feelings. It is really great to be in this Summer Institute. I'm learning so much from this wonderful group of teachers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel "this way" about responding in digital spaces like E-Anthology's Day in the Life...I don't want my responses to be merely "ceremonial"...like, "See Reynalda...I wrote back to you...Day in the Life is an important space to write in...keep it up." I want my responses to keep things circulating...there is no conversation within monolog...or is there?
ReplyDelete